Friday, October 31, 2008

A brief pause...

My Dad, circa 1985

I'm worried. Yesterday evening I received some very bad news, well...my dad received the bad news mostly. He's recently been admitted to the hospital for reasons that are not pertinent to the following information, but after a bone marrow biopsy the doctor has told him that he has Burkitt's Lymphoma (a cancer).

This is a very rare type of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma that affects some people with suppressed immune systems who have been infected with the Epstein Barr Virus. As you all know, my dad has previously had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (1996) and a liver transplant (2003), so he was at a significantly increased risk for cancer.

We're still waiting for the exact staging of the cancer, they have done a spinal tap today to see if it's reached his central nervous system. If it has, then his prognosis is considerably worse than we would like. Tomorrow he will start an intensive 5-day inpatient chemotherapy treatment, because this is an aggressive cancer the treatment needs to meet it as such.

I'll give updates as often as I have the information.

5 comments:

djp said...

thinking only good things for you and your family and i am sorry to hear such news!!! sending hugs!!! Keep me updated babe!

Silva said...

Thanks Jana, I will for sure be putting updates on the blog here. We should know today or tomorrow the results of the spinal tap...you remember how fun those are!

Images and Lines said...

We're all with you...

Unknown said...

Oh Silva....I had no idea. I am so sorry to hear the sad new, but as you know I have been struggling myself for the past 4 years. I will put your Dad in my prayers, and believe only the best. This is not easy on the children. I know that first hand as I relate to my own. But their strength and love helps me tremendously. Please take good care of yourself. I am so happy to be able to share some of your amazing life with you through this blog. Thanks. Mina

Claire Pennline said...

Really sorry to hear your news, hon. You and your family are in my thoughts.