Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Fleet Week 5.24
"Honor to the Soldier, and Sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor also to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field, and serves, as he best can, the same cause—honor to him, only less than to him, who braves, for the common good, the storms of heaven and the storms of battle."
-Abraham Lincoln 1863

I know I am a day behind, but here we are with the memorial day post. I'll take just a moment to honor the spirit of the day. Happy Memorial Day to all those that have served for our county, and to one particularly special person in my life - Uncle Marty! There was a time that he sailed with the U.S. Navy. Here's one a great pic of my favorite sailor (with Great Grandma Azniv and Great Grandpa Mugerdich)!
Uncle Marty and Parents

The entirety of the day was wonderful. We started out with a picnic in Central Park. Felipe, Grace, Nicole, Michael and I spent a lazy afternoon playing frisbee, UNO, and Apples to Apples.
Apples to Apples 5.24

The weather was beautiful and the company was great!
Felipe and Silva 5.24
Michael and Grace 5.24
Nicole Approves 5.24
Nicole approves....

After a nice long, leisurely time at the park we took a walk down the bike path along the Hudson River. Around 42nd Street and the Intrepid Museum there were bunches of tourists milling around chatting with the few sailors they could find on leave for fleet week. We continued south until we were able to meet up with Cord and his friend at the Frying Pan at pier 66. It was a lovely evening and perfect to sit with friends on a boat on the Hudson River watching the sunset!
Sunset 5.24
Chelsea Piers 5.24

At the top of the post you'll see a photo I grabbed of two sailors talking with a friend. The silhouette was too much to pass up. I hope everyone had as enjoyable a weekend as we did! I'm enjoying my last evening with my baby sis before she flies on home....

No comments: