Friday, March 20, 2009

Interesting Statuary in Madrid

On our long long walk through the city this afternoon, I noticed something when we stopped to look at the map. While Felipe was orienting us, I was looking at the surrounding buildings and saw an unusual shape on the rooftop of the building across the street (this was the Calle de las Milaneses - a street connecting the Calle de Santiago to the Calle Mayor). If you look at the top of the yellow building, just near the building next to it, it looked like this:



Looking closer, you could see that it was an unusual statue of a human with wings that looked as if it was "crashing" into the building. After snooping on the internet, I learned that I had unwittingly found the other statue of Lucifer the fallen angel. It certainly looks as if it could be very painful - as falling from Heaven and the grace of God might pain you.
Statuary
There is more information on the statue in an article done by El Pais, the Spanish newspaper (this article is in Spanish)

The other statue of the "fallen angel" Lucifer was something I encountered on one of my last trips to Madrid, and stands atop a fountain in el Parque del Buen Retiro:
Lucifer the Fallen Angel - Madrid

The two statues look very different, but either way, it is well depicted the pain and terror that I am sure they were trying to tell the story of.

2 comments:

Myrta_R_Harris said...

Thank you so much for posting this image (the second Lucifer)! My twin and I traveled to Spain at about the same time as you and I, too, saw this statue. I tried to locate information on it but could not find it until today!

Silva said...

Myrta, I'm glad you found the information you were looking for! I'm looking forward to future travels to Madrid where I can explore some more.