Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mmmmm.....Curry (there seems to be a food theme lately...)

Curried Chickpeas

So it seems that many of my posts recently have been food related...I find this interesting, but cannot explain it! We've tried another new recipe recently, and it turned out quite well. I would maybe add a little less tomato sauce the next time I make it, and I added chicken to this recipe...but I highly recommend it as a quick and easy dinner. I can't remember where I picked up this recipe, but I think that it might have been one of my Food Magazines.

1 Cup long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil,
such as safflower
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cups homemade or best quality store-bought tomato sauce
2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt

Cook rice according to package instructions; cover and keep warm

While rice is cooking, heat oil over medium in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently, until onion is tender, 4 to 6 minutes. (this is where I added the chicken) Add curry powder and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add tomato sauce, chickpeas, and 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve stew with rice and yogurt, garnished with lime wedges and a pinch of curry.

*I opted not to use the yogurt, and it was fine without it. Also, I would consider adding potato or carrot to the mix as well.

No comments: