Thursday, August 13, 2009

Postcrossing - Batch One

There is a wonderful site called Postcrossing that facilitates postcard "semi" pen pals (semi in the sense that you aren't corresponding repeatedly with only one person, but rather sends a new card to a new person each time). Basically you register on the site and then request an address to send to. They send you and address and then send your address to someone else. The site keeps track of all the cards by tracking numbers - determining how long each card takes to travel to it's destination, how far the cards travel and so on.

Here are the cards from my first batch! (My address is blurred out for obvious purposes)

Australia
Austrailia Front

Australia Back
This looks like a fascinating creature! If Thorny Devils did survive in captivity I might be inclined to have one!

Canada
Canada Front

Canada Back
This card is from Canada - I also happen to love Jean-Jacques Sempé - his illustrations are some of my favorite from the New Yorker Magazine.

Germany
Germany Front

Germany Back
This looks like a wonderful place to study! How historic! I'm looking forward to someday going to Germany and seeing some of wonderful cities there.

Finland
Finland Front

Finland Back
This seriously does look like the coldest place on earth!

Great Britain
Great Britain Front

Great Britain Back
Another place I would love to visit - someday I will make it to Great Britain!

United States - Arkansas
arkansas front

arkansas back
Arkansas looks like it has some wonderful natural areas :D

4 comments:

Claire Pennline said...

I'm so intrigued and excited about this site. I've never heard of anything like it. I'm signing up right now!

Nicole said...

This is cool but don't you worry about all these people having your address?

djp said...

ooh this is neat! love your cards you've shared... :)

i agree with nicole though, no worries about sharing your addy?

Silva said...

No, I'm not really worried. I toyed with the idea of getting a post office box, but then decided against it. The only people who see my address are the people who are given it in order to send me a card. It is not published on their website. Nor did I give my full name on the website either.

I also don't feel quite so threatened by people who live thousands of miles away. Plus, I have the world's coolest and most paranoid computer geek of a husband looking after what I allow online.