Thursday, August 6, 2009

Summertime, and the Livin' is Easy...

Lincoln Center Out of Doors

Last night was fantastic! Mom, Felipe and I spent the evening, listening to jazz under the twilight sky, dragon flies over the heads of the crowd, and a hazy lingering heat. This was the opening evening of Lincoln Center's Out of Doors, and they had two performing groups - the first was Amir ElShaffar and the Two Rivers Ensemble and the second was the Dave Brubeck Quartet with a special guest, Simon Shaheen.

Amir ElSaffar Two Rivers Ensemble 1

Amir ElSaffar Two Rivers Ensemble 2

Amir ElSaffar and the Two Rivers Ensemble is headed of course by Mr. ElSaffar who blends Iraqi music with Jazz - and I have to say, the combination was so engaging...just wonderful.

After their set, there was the set I was looking forward to - a jazz legend, and a national treasure - the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I have had the good fortune of seeing Dave Brubeck twice before already, and it still moves me. Even at the age of 89, Dave Brubeck can really wail on the Piano like it was 50 years ago!

Dave Brubeck 1

He and the others played a few songs, including a wonderful version of Stormy Weather and Three to Get Ready.
Dave Brubeck Quartet

Dave Brubeck Quartet

Dave Burbeck Quartet


Then they invited Simon Shaheen, a wonderful musician who plays the Oud and Violin to come on and play a couple of songs with them. His oud playing was masterful, and a great treat to listen to.

Simon Shaheen

Dave Brubeck Quartet & Simon Shaheen

The last song they did was Dave Brubecks legendary Take Five. Simon Shaheen joined in the song, playing the violin. It was amazing! It brought me close to tears it was so beautiful, and the addition of the violin made this - to me - the best version of the song I have ever heard. It seemed natural to add it to the quartet, and the notes of the violin joined the song as if it had always been meant to be played as such. I hope they make a recording of the collaboration.

In the end, all I can say is it was an incredible night of wonderful music, in a city that I can't believe! In total we saw two great musical acts, enjoyed a full two and a half hours of jazz, and it was totally free and practically in our back yard! I love this city.

No comments: