Saturday, August 9, 2008

Friday Afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Today I met my friend Cord at the Metropolitan Museum of Art after work. We spent a couple of hours walking around the museum's current special exhibitions: J.M.W. Turner's paintings, Framing a Century: Master Photographers from 1840-1940, Super Heroes: Fashion and Fantasy, and Jeff Koons: On the Rooftop.

Here's a little visual aid (a video from an exhibit and a video from the rooftop overlooking Central Park):



This exhibit was really nice - it had a bunch of the actual costumes used in the movies (including most recently from Iron Man and The Dark Knight), but additionally it had designer interpretations of the costumes as well. The video is of a cool hologram of Clark Kent/Superman. Unfortunately the hologram can't do much more than change back and forth...but I thought it was a neat idea.




The rooftop was BEAUTIFUL, again reaffirming my love for Central Park. When Cord and I arrived at the museum they had the rooftop garden listed as "closed" on account of the on-again/off-again rain we'd been getting all day here. By the time we'd visited the other exhibits, the rain had cleared leaving us with nothing but blue sky and sunset to enjoy on the roof (which they re-opened).

The sculptures by Koons were fun and colorful. The "Balloon Dog" was my favorite, although I also really like the idea behind the "Coloring Book" sculpture - this being the big blob of almost translucent looking color at the very beginning of the video. This sculpture was supposed to be the crazy color filling a coloring book outline of Piglet from Winnie the Pooh (with the outline removed). Clever.

Jeff Koons - Balloon Dog (Yellow)

1 comment:

Images and Lines said...

Love the Superman hologram, the song took me back to my childhood :-). The second video is so beautiful, I can fully understand why you love this park so much...the background music is really nice.