Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sticking with a Little Bit of Color

Red Doors and Wrought Iron
Red Doors and Wrought Iron

I took this photo today while walking down Central Park West on my way to Dizzy's Club for another great show (Marian McPartland - you'll see a post about her tomorrow). The color struck me, and so I stopped. Funny thing, I was looking up "Wrought Iron" and as it turns out, most of what we see from the current day isn't truly wrought iron - it's a steel made to look like wrought iron. I would bet the metal adornments on this door are the true wrought iron though, as they are on an old church - Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, which was built before 1969, when wrought iron production ceased in the United States (the building was completed in 1904). Bet you didn't think you'd learn about wrought iron today did you?

No comments: