Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hot Diggity, Dog Ziggity (Boom What You Do to Me!)

Just a little more tinsel.... / Un poco mas tinsel

So today (Thursday) is the anniversary of dad's death - the loss against the battle of cancer. I would say there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. This last weekend I was reminiscing about how he used to sing songs all the time, and then I tried remembering all the songs he used to belt out. It gave me a lot of enjoyment remembering his enthusiastic, yet shortened, performance of each ditty. I've compiled a list below of all the ones I can think of, including that for which this post is titled. I remembered this song earlier this week, and I can't even begin to imagine what brought it back into my head!


1. Hot Diggity, Dog Ziggity (Boom what you do to me) by Perry Como. Looking into it, I learned this song was based on a piece of classical music called España Rhapsody by Chabrier.

2. I Saw Three Ships - Nat King Cole My dad used to sing this one around this time of year. I can just hear him booming the chorus...

3. Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) - Doris Day.

4. June is Bustin' Out all Over - Carousel Soundtrack. Man, dad had a sweet spot for this one. He loved that first verse of the song! When I was going through dad's papers and stuff after he died I found an autographed photo of Gordon McRae who played the main lead of Billy Bigelow in the movie.

5. Let's all Sing Like the Birdies Sing - The Tinseltown Players. I couldn't find a video link of the Tinseltown players - so the link goes to Ella Fitzgerald and Andy Williams singing it. It was one of dad's all time standards...he used to sing Tweet, Tweet Tweet, Tweet Tweet, Tweet with such enthusiasm.

6. Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer - Nat King Cole. Well, we're far from them, but dad always enjoyed remembering those days by song!

7. You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby - Bobby Darin. Dad used to sing this one for my baby sister Grace. I know the video link is Michael Buble and not Bobby Darin - but there's just no Bobby Darin videos out there :(

8. High Hopes - Frank Sinatra. Again another one dad used to sing the chorus with such zeal! I couldn't find a "recording" of this song that is good for posting...sorry!

9. You Talk to Much - Joe Jones. I think my dad was trying to tell me something....

10. Ain't She Sweet - Gene Austin. I think my dad was trying to tell me something.... ;)

11. Easter Parade
- Bing Crosby and Judy Garland. Oh I could write a sonnet, about your easter bonnet.... How many times I heard dad sing that song, I can't even remember. Coincidentally, I also found a signed 8x10 headshot of Judy Garland in dad's things a couple of years ago. He told me once that he got it one night when he and his mom and dad and older sister were at a dinner show of hers in Las Vegas. He said afterwards they got to meet her and she signed a photo for him and a dinner menu for his sister.

12. I've Been Everywhere Man - Johnny Cash. Oh man, dad went through a phase where he sang this about every other day. Every time I hear it I think of him dancing around the living room...

13. It Takes Two to Tango - Ray Charles and Betty Carter. Okay, so this song was sung by a million people (including dad), but the Ray Charles/Betty Carter version is the one I remember best. It's another old standard of dad's. Sorry, no video link!

14. All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth
- Nat King Cole. I'll leave you off with another one of dad's Christmas favorites.... (sorry, the video link is again just a song with the text written out, not an actual performance).

Well I hope you enjoy the songs...I certainly do each time I think of one! I dad's influence on my taste of music and my memories of him relating to music are some of the most significant memories I have of him. How lucky I am to enjoy them still.

I miss you dad...

1 comment:

Claire Pennline said...

What an elegant and beautiful tribute to your Dad. I'm sure he's very proud of you.

--Claire