Thursday, September 16, 2010

What Luck I Have!

Rainy Park
Down pour in Central Park.

Today was one of those days that got darker and darker, signaling the weather we had to come. As I left work I could feel the humidity, like swimming through the air. I waited at the bus stop, with some added delay due to traffic issues, and eagerly got on the bus when it pulled around the corner. Three stops in, it poured. And I mean poured so hard it sounded like the bus was under pellet gun attack, and the lightning so close the sound and the flash were startling. It was an amazing flash storm, one that apparently caused a great deal of damage in Brooklyn and even had the greater New York City area under tornado warning (only the second time I recall since moving out here five years ago). To my great fortune, as the title of this post suggests, by the time the bus arrived to my stop the rain had almost completely ceased, hurray!

Other luck would have it that I've been very happy to have had some visitors recently. This last weekend we had a great time visiting with our friend Laurence who was in town from Paris. She arrived Friday evening of last week and we had a great weekend - dined out a bit, went shopping together. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Felipe and Laurence
Felipe and Laurence in the subway after our Sunday lunch at EJs Luncheonette.

Additionally, my Aunt Diane was in town with my Uncle Paul for some business related travel. She managed to sneak a night in for us, so that we could have dinner together. Uncle Paul was headed to the Mets game with my cousin, and she was more than happy to come visit with me instead of sit at the game (made me happy too!). She arrived to my apartment around 7:00pm and we chatted for a bit before heading to the Times Square area to have dinner with Felipe at Un Deux Troix.

Aunt Diane Times Sq

Aunt Diane and I

It was so nice to have dinner and hear stories. But not only that, to share a little bit of my New York City life with some family. I don't have much extended family visiting here in the city, and sometimes miss that a great deal.

And the visitors will continue. This weekend Laurence will be back in town again, and this time Sylvain will join her too, and we've not seen him since our last visit to Paris in January. AND (haha) directly after that, Felipe's parents will arrive Monday morning after a month long road trip around the Southwest. We're really looking forward to hearing all of their stories and seeing the pictures from the amazing places they went. So I may be busy for the next two weeks (we also have Felipe's birthday and our anniversary on the horizon), but I will try to keep up!

No comments: