Monday, November 1, 2010

A Family Visit - Aunt Miriam in NYC

Miriam Ellis Island

Last week was Aunt Miriam's visit to New York City... her first visit since 1992. I can't even tell you how much I was looking forward to it! We had a couple of really terrific walks around Central Park (the foliage is beautiful right now!):

Miriam Central Park 2

We had lunch at Grand Central Station:
Miriam Grand Central

But my favorite was this last Saturday. We spent the entire afternoon wandering around Ellis Island, really enjoying our family's heritage and introduction to this country. We had a lot of family come through Ellis Island during some of it's busiest immigration years. I felt really happy to share Ellis Island, a place I have enjoyed twice before, with her and with Felipe. Each had meaningful connections, us with our family's history, and Felipe with his own immigration to the United States - very different from my great-grandparents experience, but in many ways the same.

Miriam Ellis Island 2
Overlooking the Registry Hall, where her grandparents (my great-grandparents) were processed when they arrived in 1907.

Miriam and Silva Wall of Honor
By the Wall of Honor where Uncle Marty had our family's name engraved to commemorate their arrival at Ellis Island.

Wall of Honor
Mugrdiche and Aznive Kaprielian on the Wall of Honor

Felipe and Silva Ellis Island
Felipe and I inside overlooking the Registry Hall

Felipe Ellis Island
Immigrant v.2005 ;)

We had a wonderful time at Ellis Island, thoroughly enjoyed the Museum, and probably could have spent more time there if it weren't for the fact that we were already there until closing as it was! After that we had a lovely dinner at our favorite restaurant Virage. It was the perfect way to finish up a terrific visit. I am already looking forward to her next trip out here...which I hear will be spring of 2012!

No comments: