Friday, December 17, 2010

Two years...

Dad

It has been two years now since I lost my dad, he passed away December 17th, 2008 from Burkitt's Lymphoma. Not a day goes by where I don't think about him, or miss something about him. It's easier now than it was before, the conditioned behaviors like reaching for the phone to give him a call are becoming less frequent. I miss him the most when I have something fun or important that I want to share, wouldn't it be great if I could show him what I'm doing with the family history project! Or miss him when I go back to Madison and cannot visit him (visiting a grave is just not as warm - and the grave site won't do a crossword puzzle with me!).

My dad had his faults, but he had his great qualities as well - he was caring, smart, and he challenged me. It's strange sometimes to stop and truly realize that he's no longer with us, that he's not just "away" somewhere, or not answering the phone - but that he's really gone for good.

I will always cherish the time that we had with dad, even when his health got bad - as I am sure it makes me a better person. But if I had to share anything with those of you who still have both your parents, it would be this - cherish every moment you have with them, ask them questions - questions about who they are, what they were like when they were younger, what they wanted to be, and what they want to be remembered for. I had dad for 26 years and still wish I knew more about him....

I will miss him always, but will carry him in my heart much longer than always...

3 comments:

Laura said...

I know this is a hard day. I can't believe it's been two years. I am glad you have so many memories of wonderful times with your dad. I remember how many times he'd mail you something from the paper that he knew you'd like. I always thought how much he cares about you and that he loved you.

Molly said...

Hugs to you Sylva on this hard day! That is a lovely post, and so beautifully written. A great reminder, especially at this time of year.

djp said...

sending you hugs! I always have admired the relationship you have with your dad