Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mom Time!

Mom Boathouse
Cheers - a cool glass of white wine at the Central Park Boathouse

So right after we got back from Grand Cayman we had a really nice week long visit with my mom. I wish it had been longer! (especially since I was tired from the previous week). She arrived Saturday while we were still in Grand Cayman and we got home on Sunday, it was nice to have her here when we arrived.

We spent most of the time just hanging out, at home or out for drinks or dinner. We always try to stop at the Boathouse for a drink after work while my mom is in town. It's hard not to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere, with the light reflecting onto the ceiling off of the water.

Felipe and I Boathouse
Felipe and I

I took the Tuesday off of work, because it was my birthday and I wanted to spend it with her and not at my desk! Mom and I had a nice day walking around window shopping and then decided to head home so we could change and freshen up for dinner. It was super hot that day (although nothing compared to what was to come...but more on that in another post). We ended up meeting Felipe after work and went to Le Relais de Venise (L'Entrecote) - a super yummy french restaurant that has only one menu item - Steak and Frites, with their amazing special secret sauce. We all thoroughly enjoyed the meal (it was as good as it was in Paris).

Felipe and I birthday
I swear - it was a different black dress ;)

On Friday night we did our big event for the week - we went to a Cyclones Minor League Baseball game at Coney Island. We did this last year, and super enjoyed it, so we came back again! Since we all went directly from work (except for mom!) we stopped at Nathan's for a bit to eat before the game. Delightfully yummy, awfully messy and not super healthy, but a must go.

Nathan's for dinner
Mom and Felipe enjoyed their hot dogs, while I had chicken fingers - if only I liked hot dogs...

Nathan's Neon

Nathan's Neon 2

Then we rushed off to the game (I think we missed the first inning - but that's what happens when the game starts at 6:30 and the train takes an hour and fifteen minutes to get there). Loved our seats! We were definitely within the foul ball fly away zone behind home plate - and Felipe almost caught one too. Maybe he'll get it next time.
Cyclones game

Mom Cyclones game

Felipe and I cyclones game

After the game they had the fireworks again, but this time instead of watching them from the boardwalk we watched them from inside the stadium. It's no Fourth of July fireworks display, but it is enjoyable after a good game (the Cyclones won 10-4).
Cyclones Fireworks

Cyclones fireworks 2
The bright ball of light on the right hand side is the moon! It was a crazy beautiful full moon that night. The photo below is as it was as taken - no photoshop.

Full Moon at Cyclones game

All in all we had a terrific time with mom here in town. As I mentioned before I just wish I hadn't been so tired from the weeks leading up to her visit, or that we'd had more time, but we'll take what we can get! Next year we'll have to have her come out for her usual ten days instead of seven...that extra weekend time makes such a difference! Thanks mom for a wonderful time!

1 comment:

Laura said...

That looks like a great visit with Mom. And I would love to go to Coney Island and eat a Nathan's hot dog. Unlike you, I love, love, love hot dogs.