Monday, August 29, 2011

Happy 99th Birthday Uncle Marty!!!

99 Candles
Happy Birthday to a wonderful man - Marty Kaprelian!

Uncle Marty Celebrates his 99th birthday today!  Can you believe it?!  We are so lucky to have him in our lives, he's a true treasure.  Having never met either of my grandfathers, I consider myself blessed to have had the chance to develop such a wonderful relationship with Uncle Marty (he's really my great uncle - in all senses of the word).  Uncle Marty has lived through many many things in his lifetime, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to have experienced so much change! 


He was born in the back of a shoemaker's shop...and has seen the world through industrialization, war, peace, prosperity, depression, technology and so much more.  A man who once as a kid sold newspapers on the street corners in Chicago, who acted in community plays in Milwaukee, who made gin in his bathtub during prohibition, who served in the United States Navy and countless other amazing things.  I wish I could write an elegant snapshot of his life thus far, but Uncle Marty leaves me practically speechless. 


What can we say, except for maybe "Hip Hip Hooray!  Happy Birthday Uncle Marty!!!"


Some more photos from his family birthday celebration this past Saturday:
Happy Birthday Marty


Marty and Miriam 2


Marty and Alice


Marty and Rosie

Marty and Diane

1 comment:

Laura said...

How exciting! And he looks great. I liked the glimpse into Uncle Marty's life - I know you value him so and it's neat to learn a bit more about him.