Monday, August 1, 2011

A New Recipe Each Week

Prosciutto Gruyere and Shallot Pizza

So a couple weeks ago I decided that after a slight tapering off of my cooking that I wanted to start making more yummy home cooked meals and decided that I would try at least one new recipe a week. Last week we had a super good chicken club sandwich with an olive tapenade and today we tried another delicious and successful meal. Now anyone who knows me knows I'm not much for pork - it's a mental thing I think, something I haven't "liked" for a very long time. But I've been easing up a bit lately when it comes to prosciutto. Especially when the prosciutto is cooked or crisped. There comes in our recipe for today - Ham, Gruyere and Shallot pizza. Now because I don't eat ham we replaced with prosciutto and it was a good result.

As you can see from the photo above, it looks delicious and tastes just as good as it looks. So here's to two weeks with two successful recipes! Maybe you'll give this a try and enjoy it as much as we did.

On another note, it's getting us very excited for our upcoming visit to Paris and Provence later this year!!!


Ham, Gruyere and Shallot Pizza
Real Simple, October 2009

Ingredients
cornmeal for the pan (optional, we did not use this)
1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, cut into thin rings and separated
12 sprigs fresh thyme
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham (I don't like regular ham, so we used prosciutto instead)
1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese (2 ounces)


Directions
  • Heat oven to 425º F. Sprinkle a rimmed baking sheet with the cornmeal. Shape the dough into a 14-inch circle and place on the prepared baking sheet.
  • Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of the oil and bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the shallots, thyme, the remaining tablespoon of oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
  • Top the partially cooked dough with the ham, shallot mixture, and cheese. Bake until the crust is crisp and the cheese has melted, 12 to 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Looks yummy. I'm super impressed as I do not make a new recipe weekly.