Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Last Vacation Post...

Backgammon with Uncle Marty

Felipe and I spent a lovely afternoon with my great uncle Marty. Uncle Marty is my paternal grandmother's brother, and the closest I will ever have to a grandfather. He lived for most of my lifetime in California, but several years ago moved back to Midwest. Since then we've been able to enjoy spending a good deal of time together. After graduating from college, I spent seven months living in Madison before I moved to New York City. During that time I saw Uncle Marty about every week, we would chat and play backgammon.

I've played backgammon since I was about six, more realistically since about the age of 12, and learned it mostly from my dad. It was Uncle Marty though that really helped me refine my backgammon skills. I remember the first time I played a set against Uncle Marty, it was before he moved to Madison and was during one of his visits for the family picnic. He beat the pants off of me! I couldn't win a game against him.

At this point, I can hold my own against him, and can even win a set or two! And although we don't get to play weekly any more, we do still enjoy a game or two when I come back to visit. This set...he beat me, two to one. Uncle Marty will be turning 97 years old this August, and by his report - the doctor says he's got the liveliness and health of a 70 year-old!

No comments: