Friday, July 10, 2009

Must stop here...Oakcrest Tavern

Oakcrest Tavern

This is another one of those must stop places for when I come back to Madison for a visit. It's a tiny one room tavern in my old neighborhood that has barely changed since I can remember it back in the 80's and 90's and for probably much longer than that!

Felipe at the Oakcrest Tavern
Felipe and I stopped in for lunch on Monday and had the typical tavern fare that almost feels like a necessity to order. Their burgers are great and Felipe enjoyed a brat. The burgers are made from meat at Knoche's - a butcher from across the street (I used to stop in this little grocery store on my way to school to pick up bazooka gum!). We shared an order of fries, and of course - the cheese curds! yum!

Oakcrest Burger
Oakcrest Cheese Curds
Oakcrest Fries

Now if only I could figure out how to get the bars in New York City to serve fried cheese curds....or alternately how to get the Oakcrest to open a location there - then I would be set!

2 comments:

djp said...

ooooh how delicious those cheese curds look (and i'm sure they are!)

i agree, what's with no other places selling this totally wonderful item???

Marcos said...

It does look delicious