Saturday, October 10, 2009

October Afternoons...Enjoying the Fall (Part 1)

Gourds

Today Felipe and I took a nice walk around the Union Square area with our Friend Ruben, who is visiting from his studies in Toronto. We were lucky to catch such a beautiful autumn afternoon!

Green Market

We grabbed a bite to eat at the Stand burger joint, then walked over and checked out the Strand. I found a great deal on a travel guide to London (yay! so excited to go in January!) After the Strand we went to the Union Square Green Market and walked by all the stands. I don't get to the green market often - most of the time I do not enjoy the crowds, but it was so nice to see all the beautiful produce, and all of the signs of autumn....pumpkins, apples, apples and apples, and gourds all over the place. I stopped and picked out a few gourds and "mini pumpkins" for our windowsill at home.

After that we walked to Madison Square Park and sat for a while people watching. They were having a free concert, and so we listened to some blue grass (see below) - they were great, although I did not get the name of the group. There were a variety of other groups as well.
Madison Square Concerts

Overall, the blue skies, good company and liveliness of the city made it a very pleasant afternoon. Here's one more photo I took while sitting on the bench at the park...it was a very striking view to me.
Madison Square Park - Looking up

Enjoy your autumn...and my sincerest condolences to those of my family and friends that are experiencing snow already....

No comments: