Monday, February 21, 2011

The Joy of Getting Lost in Manhattan

Church Window with Snowy Branches
We had some unexpected (to us) snow last night, left some pretty scenes around the city before melting and turning to slush. After spending some time at the Strand, where I picked up a couple of great books about New York City, we walked down broadway a bit and passed Grace Church (pictured above).

I know there's been an absence of blog posts, something I'm working on finding a remedy for. What can I say - when it's cold and yucky out, I spend more time inside and have less to inspire me!

Today was a great day though. Both Felipe and I had off work for the President's Day Holiday, and so that is a bonus right there! We slept in a bit, and then went down to the Union Square area. Today is the five year anniversary of the day we first met, our first date. So we had lunch at Virage, our restaurant in the East Village. It was a bit of surprise when we walked in the restaurant, as we haven't been there since my aunt's visit in October, they have completely redecorated the interior of Virage. Part of me is really sad to see it change, I have very fond memories of the dark brick wall, and the art prints they had - it had a very welcoming atmosphere for a nice dinner. The red brick walls have all been painted over with white, and the neat prints they had hanging were replaced by paintings of still life fruit (I can't say I agree with this choice), and the chandelier no longer hangs from the ceiling...it has also been replaced by round white globe lamps.

I suppose it's fitting that we see the change to "our restaurant" when we went there five years to the day after our relationship began. It would be unlike the New York City way if it didn't change, and serves as a happy reminder to reflect on how we have changed ourselves (positively) since that cold day waiting outside to meet.

No comments: