Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Poppy to remember by...

my ring
Poppies are flowers that are used to memorialize those that have passed away. Yesterday I received my ring that I had designed and had made in memory of my dad, and found it fitting to post it today to also recognize veterans day. Poppies of course are the universal symbol for the fallen soldiers, from the poem about Flander's Fields. My dad never fought in a war, but it's a good day to remember all of those who have passed before us. The end the ring is not exactly as I planned in the beginning...I originally wanted to have a ring with enameling, but had to change it because they were unable to do enameling with the stone setting.

The final product is a redesign from my first idea, it's meant to look a bit like a poppy (as referenced before) and the stone is a spressartine garnet - garnet being my dad's birthstone. Maya and Wayne at No Rules Jewelry in Wisconsin did a terrific job in making the ring for me, and I am sure I will enjoy wearing it for years to come. It's one last gift from my dad that I can pass on to my children, and something beautiful to remember him by.

3 comments:

becksldrt said...

wow, silva, is beautiful and so well thought out. i love it.

Nicole said...

Very pretty!

djp said...

this is a wonderful piece to honor your dad! enjoy wearing it and may it bring a smile to you when remembering him!