Wednesday, February 24, 2010

French Cooking .... Mmmmm

Tonight I took a cooking "class" at Williams & Sonoma, it was actually more like a demonstration with a really nice meal attached! I didn't do any hands on cooking, but it was nice to see the techniques that the chefs used and get their advice on the recipes. The store is doing a series of cooking classes that feature recipes from a specific cookbook (you get to take the cookbook home - included in the class). Tonight was "Essentials of French Cooking". It was delicious and I can't wait to make the recipes!

Hors d'Oeuvres
Radishes with Whipped Butter and Smoked Salmon with creme fraiche
Radishes with Butter and Sea Salt and Smoked Salmon with Crème Fraiche and Capers in Endive

I wasn't sure how I would like this - as I usually don't eat radishes or smoked salmon, but both were really good. It was very light and refreshing and seems like it's really easy to put together!

Vichysoisse
Vichysoisse, the classic potato and leek soup served cold. This I could definitely make.

Chicken with Peppers and Olives
Sauteed Chicken with Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, and Olives
This dish was DELICIOUS, and I think Felipe is going to LOVE it. What seemed really nice about it was that you could probably mix it up a bit and tweak the recipe to give it a slightly different flavor. I can't wait to give it a try...

Tart Tatin
Tarte Tatin
Oh man, this one was so yummy, and looks so much easier to make than I thought! I would even venture to say it looked easier than apple pie ;) I picked up a pair of small cast iron pans (I think 6" each), so Felipe may be getting some tarte tatin this weekend...

It was a great class, and I decided I would take another at the end of March - this one will be italian food from one of Giada DeLaurentis' cookbooks...so keeps yours eyes open for that one!

No comments: