Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sweet Success and Burnt Failure

SUCCESS Tarte tatin
Today I gave it a shot and tried to make the tarte tatin that I learned in class this week - it seemed easy enough! Let's just say I had some success and some failure. Rather than making one large tarte I made two smaller ones, and one turned out great and the other...well not so much as you can see by the photo below.

I followed the recipe intently, and had the same ingredients for both skillets - somehow the second one just didn't work out... But that doesn't mean I won't try again, and maybe someday I can make two without having one look like an over sized hockey puck.

Another thing to note...a cookie sheet with some parchment paper on the rack below the tartes is probably a good idea - we had some spillage onto our baking stone which will have to now burn off (smelly!).

FAIL tarte tatin
I knew this one wasn't going to work when I had it on the stove...somehow the sugar just got too dark, even though it was on the burner for the same amount of time as the first, with the same level of heat.

No comments: