Sunday, February 14, 2010

Learning to Sketch - A Barn

Barn Sketch 21410
I've decided recently that I would like to learn to sketch. Not fine art, just a little something here and there with pen. I'm starting out with something easy...lines and symmetical shapes, and then will work my way to maybe someday sketching a face or two.

I wanted to try something architectural so I went to flickr and did a photo search for a barn and came up with this photo by Todd Klassy. It was after I sketched it that I realized, looking at the flickr page, that it's a Wisconsin Barn, and that Mr. Klassy and I share a hometown. He's got a lot of nice photos - I suggest you take a look at his website. Anyway, I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Every once in a while I may post a sketch, if I deem it worthy enough for the public (i.e. not a complete disaster!). Please don't laugh too hard!

By the way, there is a sketcher that I enjoy following who you should check out: Gabriel Campanario. And now that I think about it - this desire to learn to sketch has always been around but is most recently prompted by a book I got Felipe for valentine's day called "The City Out My Window" by Matteo Pericolo. It's a book filled with sketched window views looking out on New York City with quotes by the various owners of each view. Click on the link to see some of the sketches and quotes, it's a beautiful book.

1 comment:

Marcos said...

My own Wisconsin Barn:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67722109@N00/3199444449/in/set-72157601318443932/
It's funny but I used this picture when I was learning how to do "watercolors"... What is with Barns... ;-)