Sunday, April 15, 2012

Catch Up: A Visit to Wisconsin

Mom Decorating the Tree
Mom decorating the Christmas tree.

Since I wasn't going to be able to go home for Christmas, I decided that I would visit in early December. I flew out to Milwaukee on a Wednesday night (I think...) and mom picked me up from the airport. We spent a bit of time in Delavan and set up her Christmas tree. It killed me to not tell her that I had purchased tickets to come to Wisconsin for Christmas (it was decided Thanksgiving weekend) - the whole time I had to say "well if I can't be here to celebrate christmas with you and mariam and grace, I'll just have to help decorate the tree...". She didn't suspect a thing.

We had a nice time decorating the tree, it's always fun to go through the ornaments and remembering the years of seeing them adorn the tree. Here's my first ornament :)
Baby's First Christmas

Before we left delavan, mom wanted to stop at school for a quick moment, and so I got to see her classroom for the first time. I thought it would be nice to get a photo of mom at her desk.
Mom at her school desk

While in Madison we visited with my great uncle Marty, I always look forward to my visits with him. He's the grandfather I never had. Uncle Marty's health has been up and down in the last year (to be expected when you are 99 years old!), and so I am grateful for any time that I have with him. I think he was happy to see us as well.
Uncle marty and I

We also had a very nice visit with my aunt Miriam. She's a must visit when I'm in town...and lucky for me this busy lady always makes time to see me!
Mom Miram and I

It was a short visit - only a long weekend, but a cherished weekend for sure. It's nice to have a bit of one on one mom time, and I do love my visits to Wisconsin. It gives a good respite from the city life here in Manhattan. Mom enjoyed it too - although she had no idea what was to come!...look for that in the next post.

2 comments:

Bruce Hall said...

That was nice.

Laura said...

I'm glad you got a picture of your mom at work - I've realized that although we as a people spend tons of hours at work, I'd say the vast majority have zero pictures of themselves there or their work spaces! And I'm also, of course, so glad you were able to spend time with your uncle and aunt :).