Saturday, April 14, 2012

Europe Continued: Avignon Day Two - This May Be Heaven cont.

Avignon 67
Our next stop was the Chateau Mont Redon.

Avignon 66
Felipe and I by one of the many fields of vines.

Avignon 65

Avignon 63
The tasting room at Mont Redon.

Avignon 62
Felipe tasting a Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Mont Redon is where I had the chance to try my first Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - and as it turns out, it's one of the best white wines I've ever had. We bought several bottles from the Château and walked around the vineyards a little bit. In France the "terroir" of a vineyard has a great deal of influence on how the wine will taste - and Provence, specifically the Châteauneuf-du-Pape area has a very unique terroir. I could explain it for you, but wikipedia does a better job of it:

The characteristic terroir of Châteauneuf-du-Pape comes from a layer of stones called galets ("pebbles"). The rocks are typically quartzite and remnants of Alpine glaciers that have been smoothed over millennia by the Rhône River. The stone retains heat during the day and releases it at night which can have an effect of hastening the ripening of grapes. The stones can also serve as a protective layer to help retain moisture in the soil during the dry summer months.

Here you can see a photo of the vines with the galets at their base:
Avignon 60
It was really interesting to learn about how the land and the climate can really affect the crop and ultimately the taste of the wine.

Avignon 61

After Mont Redon, we made a quick stop at the site that loans it's name to the wine appellation. The Châteauneuf-du-Pape, or the new palace of the popes was built in the area, as a summer residence for the popes. Not much of the palace remains today - as it has been many centuries, and was badly damaged during the world war.
Avignon 69

Avignon 68

Avignon 70
Overlooking the valley from the palace grounds. You can see the Rhone river in the distance.

At this point we were ready to stop for lunch. Our amazing guide Mika had arranged reservations for us at Château des Fines Roches, this amazingly gorgeous place. I had seen photos of this place when I was planning the trip, and had even considered staying at the hotel that they operate on the property - but had decided against it, and gone for the Hotel d'Europe because it was closer to the city.

We approached the estate by a winding, cypress tree lined road. I cannot even begin to describe how beautiful and scenic it was. I was almost giddy about it!
Avignon 71
Here is a photo of it as seen from the main highway/road that passes by it.

Avignon 79
The towering cypress trees along the drive.

We sat out on a terrace in front of the château. There were tables with white linens, and it overlooked the whole valley. I could not have imagined a better place to sit and have lunch.
Avignon 75

Avignon 73
Felipe with his entree, a croustillant de canard (almost like a duck confit boerek wrapped in phyllo). It was amazing, so delicious.

Avignon 74

Avignon 76
I had a terrific steak au poive with ratatouille and potatoes, and a dessert of white cake with creme and strawberries, sprinkled with lavender sugar (that was so delicious it was gone before I could think of getting the camera out).

Avignon 77
The view from where we sat.

Avignon 72
So picturesque. I wished I could stay there forever!

They had other dining areas inside of the hotel, as well as the guest rooms. It was such a lovely place - I do hope that sometime in my future I will find myself visiting there again. Another one of the dining rooms:
Avignon 78

After lunch Mika took us next door to the Château Le Nerthe, one of the oldest vineyards in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. It was built in the 12th century, around the times that the pope moved to the area.
Avignon 80

So another breathtaking long road, lined by cypress trees led past the vines to a smaller drive lined by plane trees, which led to the main Château.
Avignon 81

Mika knew this winery well, as I am sure she takes many of her tours there, and was able to take us into the cellars to show us around. We saw all of the newly filled barrels, and the cages where they keep bottles for the hotels, restaurants and patrons that purchase from them. It was quite impressive.
Avignon 82

We had another tasting of the wines, and I must say they were amazing. Felipe and I were getting to our limit of wine intake...after two previous wineries and a glass with lunch, added to the fact that we are not experienced at spitting our wine when tasting (seems like too much of a waste!!!). But none-the-less, it was terrific. We bought another couple of bottles. I should note that we took home a total of 8 bottles - including one for Felipe's dad and one for my mom.

Avignon 83
In the tasting area at Le Nerthe they had a cross section of the ground and soil. Here again you can see the galets.

From the patio outside of the Château you could see Château Fines Roches (where we had lunch) very well.
Avignon 84

Avignon 85
We stopped for a moment, looking over the land, the vineyards...with the light shining through the clouds. It was as if God was putting a spotlight onto the scene in front of us, saying...this really may be heaven...

After Le Nerthe we were just about finished with the days tour. Mika was quite generous and took us to a chocolate shop nearby where we were able to purchase some goodies to bring home to share. And one last stop in Villeneuve les Avignon, a small village across the river from Avignon. We stopped there to shop for a few little souvenirs and happened upon the Olive oil festival there. There were vendors set up on one of the main streets, and musicians. It was quite lovely.

By the time we got back to the hotel I was exhausted! We took a bit of time to rest and clean up, and had the front desk make reservations for us for dinner at Le Brigadier du Theatre. I think that when I say the provençale food just kept getting better and better - this was the culminating meal. Absolutely delicious in every bite. I had the prix fixe meal, traditional for France - it comes with the entree, main and dessert.
Avignon 86
A view of the restaurant. We must have been early - it filled up later in the meal.

Avignon 87

Entree - Andalusian Gazpacho with Jamon
Avignon 88

Main - Tian aux 3 légumes et 3 fromages (Eggplants, Zucchinis, Tomatos, Gruyere, goat cheese, Mozzarella)
Avignon 89
A photo will never do this dish justice. Whoever came up with this recipe did right by the world.

Dessert - Composition de crèmes glacées saveurs de provence (Ice Creams in the flavors of Provence)
Avignon 90
Violet flavored (YES, VIOLET FLAVOR!!!), melon, and tomato and olive oil. Amazing. Violet of course was my favorite. I might have died if they had put violet, lavender and rose flavored ice creams in front of me...but maybe that's asking too much!

Felipe and I managed to walk ourselves (stuffed with food, full of wine and tired from all the fresh provençale air) back to the hotel where we retired for the night. Everything about our visit to Provence was perfect. The history, the climate, the culture, and the people were all amazing. I cannot wait for the day we can travel back there, and could not recommend it more highly to anyone wishing for a memorable vacation.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Looks fabulous my friend! And so many posts - this must have taken hours. but I imagine you're happy to have the pictures labeled and memories down forever. Oh, I forgot to mention - the beef stew from day 1 looked amazing.

Silva said...

It did take hours!!! That's why, I think, I kept putting off finishing the posts, and what led to the long intermission. But now that I've finished the longer posts - I can go back to posting regularly.

It will be nice to be back in the swing of things.

Images and Lines said...

I didn't know Avignon was so beautiful, definitely a place to be visited soon.

Big Momma in Dullavan said...

Divine! Why can't I live there? I trust you will be learning how to make that eggplant dish and the lavender ice cream before my next trip to New York - right?